Places Of Interest - Dukinfield
Dukinfield is located in the metropolitan county of Greater Manchester, a landlocked area bordering Cheshire to the southwest and southern area, Derbyshire to the southeast, West Yorkshire to the northeast, Lancashire to the north and Merseyside to the west. It is one of the major metropolitan areas in the UK and includes ten metropolitan boroughs: Bolton, Bury, Oldham, Rochdale, Stockport, Tameside, Trafford, Wigan, as well as the cities of Salford and Manchester.
Dukinfield Town Hall
Dukinfield Town Hall was constructed in Domestic Gothic Design. It was opened up on 15th June 1901 by Alderman James Pickup, and cost ₤ 15,000 to erect from plans by J. Eaton together with Sons of Ashton.
The clock is by JR Joyce of Whitchurch, and the five bells were cast by Taylor and Co of Loughborough. Today the town hall doubles as the borough register office as well as as a leisure centre.
Old Chapel, Dukinfield
The first Old Chapel was opened in 1707 and rebuilt in the mid-19th century, this is an early instance of the adoption of a Gothic design for a nonconformist chapel. Behind it, there are several intriguing graves, including the Astley memorial.
The vertical design makes this structure a remarkable site which towers over the skyline when viewed from Ashton. The Chapel is a Grade II * listed structure.
At the opposite side of Old Chapel is the Astley Arms where a dinner was hosted for Ensign Andrew Moyhihan V.C. on his return from the Crimea, and a blue plaque confirms the fact.
Old Hall Chapel
Old Hall Chapel is a Grade II * listed structure yet is now unfortunately in ruins. The Chapel claims to have actually been the very first Independent church in England, in the 17th century. Built in the regime of Henry VII (1485 – 1509), it was extended in the 19th century to become a congregational church, and set ablaze by arsonists in 1978.